I love Packers general manager Ted Thompson. Even if he was terrible at his job, which thankfully he isn’t, I would still love him.
While a bunch of other teams are out signing free agents that most NFL fans recognize and know, Thompson signs Loyce Means, a cornerback who most recently played in the Canadian Football League. A couple weeks ago, Thompson signed an Italian kicker named Giorgio Tevecchio.
While fans of the 49ers get to embrace Nnamdi Asomugha, Packers fans take to Google to try and figure out who in the hell Loyce Means is.
While Vikings and Dolphins fans get excited about signing Greg Jennings and Mike Wallace, respectively, Packers fans are left trying to figure out who (or what) a Giorgio Tevecchio is.
Sometimes I wonder if Thompson signs these unknown guys just so he can see how crazy it might drive some Packers fans. I know that’s not the case, but it’d be funny if it was.
I think by now a lot of Packers fans get Thompson. Not all of fans, but a lot. They might not agree with his strategies, but they at least get him.
That’s progress, right?
Or am I wrong?
Do the fans who didn’t get Thompson from the beginning still not get him now?
Whether you get him or not, do you find it as amusing as I do when he signs one of these unknown guys while the rest of the league signs marquee names?
Packers News, Notes and Links
- Now a contract extension is apparently close to being done for Clay Matthews. Supposedly, a contract extension was “close” for Aaron Rodgers a few weeks ago. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. Let me know when both players actually sign on the dotted line and the Brinks truck is actually pulling into each player’s driveway to deliver the signing bonus.
- This is a must-read from Tom Silverstein at the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about the Packers’ sound management of dead money in the salary cap. I can’t even remember the last time the Packers were in salary cap hell. How many other NFL teams can say the same thing?
- If you haven’t voted for the Packers’ Final Four, be sure to do so here – voting closes at midnight tonight.
- John Rehor tries to rationalize the trade Aaron Rodgers crazy talk. Good luck rationalizing with those people, John. You are a braver man than I. Interesting read, though.
- Should the Packers trade down in the NFL draft? If they want to, here are some options.
- The Packers preseason schedule is out, if you’re into that sort of thing.
- Do you need to put your child to sleep? Perhaps the soothing voices of Jason Perone, Marques Eversoll and myself talking about Packers running backs and NFL draft needs can help.
Non Packers Links and Other Nonsense
- Roger Ebert died on Thursday. I grew up watching Ebert and Gene Siskel review movies on TV and I ended up respecting the hell out of Ebert’s writing as I got older. In case you missed this Esquire profile on Ebert from a few years back, make sure to read it now.
- It looks like father time has not been all that kind to Don King.
- Jackpot! Here are a bunch of 80s pro wrestling photos from Sports Illustrated.
Adam Czech is a a freelance sports reporter living in the Twin Cities and a proud supporter of American corn farmers. When not working, Adam is usually writing about, thinking about or worrying about the Packers. Follow Adam on Twitter. Twitter .