1) Introduction: Usually, it’s the Vikings who end up signing ex-Packers players once their time in the green and gold is up. Last offseason, the Packers decided to see what might happen if they signed a Vikings player. After a rough start, Letroy Guion came around and ended up being more than just another body to throw inside.
- Age: 27
- Born: 6/21/1987 in Starke, FL
- Height: 6’4″
- Weight: 315
- College: Florida St.
- Rookie Year: 2008
- NFL Experience: 7 years
3) Expectations coming into the season: Athletic depth up front. The Packers were moving B.J. Raji back to nose tackle full time. Guion was supposed to back him up and possibly provide a little bit of athleticism inside, when necessary. Guion ended up in the starting lineup after Raji’s injury and played much better than your typical backup.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Guion looked like a complete disaster early on. He missed most of training camp with an injury, then got mauled in week one against Seattle. “Here we go again,” most Packers fans thought. “Another season of having to watch a swiss-cheese defense.” But as September became October and October turned to November, Guion got better. He was adequate against the run and provided the athleticism rushing the quarterback the Packers hoped for when they signed him.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: I credit the majority of the Packers’ improvement on run defense to moving Clay Matthews inside, but Guion deserves credit as well. According to Pro Football Focus, Guion’s total run grade was a paltry negative-10.1, but he had a stretch in the middle of the season — right when the Packers turned their run defense around — where he was very effective against the run.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Guion didn’t do much in the playoffs. Perhaps playing full time for 16 regular season games wore him down?
7) Intangibles: Guion had some of the smoothest dance moves during sack celebrations I have ever seen. Aaron Rodgers also was quite fond of Guion, even going so far as to call him one of his favorite teammates. Here’s hoping Guion keeps on dancing in a Packers uniform next season.
Season Report Card (Player Grades):
(B+) Level of expectations met during the season
(C+) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(D) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: B-
ADDENDUM: The report card you just read was written before Guion got arrested in Florida with nearly a pound of marijuana, over $190,000 in cash and a gun. Not a smart move for a guy who has been publicly praised by Rodgers and was possibly on the verge of a multi-year contract. His time in Green Bay may very well be over now. Then again, if the Packers are thin up front as training camp approaches, the price to re-sign Guion just got a whole lot lower…——————
Adam Czech is a a freelance sports reporter living in the Twin Cities and a proud supporter of American corn farmers. When not working, Adam is usually writing about, thinking about or worrying about the Packers. Follow Adam on Twitter. Twitter .