1) Introduction: After starting 12 games in 2013, the Packers had reason to believe that Brad Jones would build upon his gradual success that saw him record a career-high 60 tackles. However, things were vastly different this year. Jones doesn’t have the lateral quickness to stay on the field, which is why he only played 17.4 percent of the defensive snaps.
2) Profile: Brad Jones
- Age: 28
- Born: 04/01/1986 in Lansing, MI
- Height: 6’3″
- Weight: 242
- College: Colorado
- Rookie Year: 2009
- NFL Experience: 6 years
- Career stats and more
3) Expectations coming into the season: To add depth to a position that was thin. The thought was that Jones would never be able to blossom into a special defender in the NFL, but maybe he could carve out a niche as a hard-working lunch-pail linebacker.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Even though Jones had a thigh injury, he played 68 of 70 snaps in the season opener at Seattle. However, that’s where the good times stopped. Dom Capers and Mike McCarthy stopped trusting in him and his playing time began to slowly evaporate.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: He had 16 total tackles and he recorded zero sacks. His football IQ constantly came into question as he was flagged for five of the seven penalties ticketed to the inside linebackers.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: In addition to tallying four tackles in two games, Jones was also called for two penalties in the NFC Divisional Playoff vs. Dallas.
7) Intangibles: Jones had a forgettable 2014 season. The Packers cannot wait to cut bait and save $3.75 million against the cap.
Season Report Card (Player Grades):
(F) Level of expectations met during the season
(F) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(F) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: F——————
Cory Jennerjohn is from Wisconsin and has been in sports media for over 10 years. To contact Cory e-mail him at jeobs -at- yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter: Cory Jennerjohn