1) Introduction: Not too many people knew this guy when the season started. But when the season’s final chapter was written, everyone knew this guy. Kind of hard to believe that a seventh round pick is currently the best Packers’ inside linebacker.
2) Profile: Sam Barrington
- Age: 24
- Born: 10/05/1990 in Jacksonville, FL
- Height: 6’1″
- Weight: 240
- College: South Florida
- Rookie Year: 2013
- NFL Experience: 2 years
- Career stats and more
3) Expectations coming into the season: The exceptions were that he would come in and learn behind and Hawk and Co. Obviously, that philosophy changed rather quickly.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Even though he only played two snaps from scrimmage in 1½ years, Barrington was called into action to start the seventh game — and he got his first and only sack of the season. Barrington doled out plenty of punishment but showed some rough edged in pass coverage.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: Not bad for a mid-round second-year player to start seven of 14 games. He played hard as evidenced by his 45 tackles.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: He had six tackles in two games and was a force in stopping the run.
7) Intangibles: If he shows a willingness to learn and with the right mentoring, the Packers could be sitting on something special.
Season Report Card (Player Grades):
(B-) Level of expectations met during the season
(C) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(C) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: C+——————
Cory Jennerjohn is from Wisconsin and has been in sports media for over 10 years. To contact Cory e-mail him at jeobs -at- yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter: Cory Jennerjohn