Datone Jones 2013 Green Bay Packers Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction: Rookie defensive linemen rarely light up the league during their first season. There was hope that Datone Jones could be an exception to that rule.
- Age: 23
- Born:Â 7/24/1990 in Los Angeles, CA
- Height:Â 6’4″
- Weight: 283
- College:Â UCLA
- Rookie Year:Â 2013
- NFL Experience:Â 1 year
3) Expectations coming into the season:Â Give the base defensive line some much-needed pass rush. Jones got after the quarterback here and there, but rarely from base formation and not on a consistent basis.
4) Playerâ€™s highlights/low-lights: Jones notched three sacks and registered five tackles over a two-game stretch against the Bears and Eagle. Before that outburst, Jones didn’t have any sacks and only managed one measly tackle. Jones also rarely played late in the season.
5) Playerâ€™s contribution to the overall team success:Â Jones would show flashes of pass-rushing ability here and there. He’s also fast enough to make plays downfield if a runner reaches the open field. Jones needs to spend the offseason studying game film of teammate Mike Daniels to learn how to better use leverage and to always play angry.
6) Playerâ€™s contributions in the playoffs:Â As the season wore on, Jones’ playing time was decreased (never a good sign). Fellow rookie Josh Boyd was actually getting more playing time in the end. Jones managed to flush Collin Kaepernick out of the pocket on one of the 13 snaps Jones played in the playoff loss.
Season Report Card:
(D) Level of expectations met during the season
(D) Contributions to teamâ€™s overall success.
(D) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: Â Dâ€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”