Last week I used this space to discuss dead wrestlers, concussions and the suicide of Junior Seau. It was some heavy and serious stuff, so serious that I didn’t have the will to keep the post going and talk about Packers news.
To make up for it, this edition of Surviving Sunday will be nothing but Packers.
All eight Packers draft picks signed contracts and are participating in this weekend’s rookie camp. From a fan’s perspective, rookie camps and mini camps are a nice reminder that football season is getting closer, but that’s about it. It’s impossible for us outsiders to glean too much from offseason camps. The quotes from coaches are the same every year. Everybody looks great. Everybody is in amazing shape. Everybody looks real focused. Everybody just wants to help the team win. Yawn……
Alex Green and Ryan Grant
Alex Green wants to return by training camp according to Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. If he’s putting in the effort and work necessary to make it happen, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Green make it back for camp. It sounds like Adrian Peterson has a legit shot at playing in week one after ripping up his knee at the end of last season. Obviously, no two knee injuries are the same, but if Peterson can return that quickly, I like Green’s chances of being ready to go by August.
Meanwhile, Ryan Grant remains unsigned and at least two prominent Packers bloggers have a feeling he’ll be back with the Packers. I’m in wait and see mode with Grant. No bold predictions from me. Talent-wise, I think Ted Thompson is fine with Green, James Starks and Brandon Saine. But he’s probably uncertain if Green and Starks can play a full 16 games.
Vikings Get Stadium
The Vikings are staying in Minnesota, which is good news for the Packers for multiple reasons. 1) Keeping the Vikings in the NFC North means a guaranteed 60 wins for the Packers over the next 30 years; 2) We can point and laugh at people like this for the next 30 years; and 3) the stadium deal gave us this amazing .gif.
- I wrote about the Packers undrafted free agent RBs this week. I had a conversation with Phil Miller — the Gophers beat writer for the Star Tribune — Friday night about one of those RBs: Minnesota’s Duane Bennett. For what it’s worth, Miller doesn’t think Bennett has much of a shot at making the team. Too small.
- If you ever feel like you’re falling behind on your Packers news or need to catch up after a day or two of being offline, a good place to start is acmepackingcompany.com. Kevin links to the stories of the day and provides easily digestible nuggets of analysis to bring you up to speed. Of course you should come to this site first, but if you insist on cheating on us, make sure it’s with a site that’s at least as good as acmepackingcompany.com.
- Here’s the transcript from an Aaron Rodgers radio interview. Sounds like he’s friends with Michael Jordan now. Oneida Casino better up the limits on its black jack tables in case Jordan ever visits Green Bay.
- I need to finish reading this and this, but once I’m done, I’m starting Brian Carriveau’s book, “It’s Just a Game.” If you enjoy Brian’s work over at CheeseheadTV, show him some love and buy his book. Also, get in touch with your local library and tell them to order a copy.
- Ok, I can’t resist. I need to provide one non-Packers link. I saw Mastodon at the Myth in Maplewood, Minn., this week. They opened with Black Tongue. Here it is. Crank it up and frighten everyone in your house or office.
Adam Czech is a a freelance sports reporter living in the Twin Cities and a proud supporter of American corn farmers. When not working, Adam is usually writing about, thinking about or worrying about the Packers. Follow Adam on Twitter. Twitter .