As the 2012 NFL Draft is about to begin, here are some things that have been whispered into my ear as well as some of my own opinions and predictions.
- Whisper: The Packers love Shea McClellin, but so do the Patriots, who pick just before them. If Ted HAS to have him, he’ll need to trade up in front of NE (unless Mercilus is there for New England, who is their first choice)
- Prediction: There will be no Ted Thompson head-scratchers on the first 2 days of the draft. The Packers are still burning from a 15-1 season and first round playoff loss. They have virtually the same team coming back. Ted knows if he can plug a few holes with immediate help, success will follow.
- Whisper: The Packers also love Casey Hayward in the second, but will have competition from the 49ers.
- Opinion: The only four positions I would draft an offensive player at are center, tackle, quarterback and running back.
- Whisper: The Packers are seriously considering some linebackers that are thought to be more suited as 4-3 LBs, but who they consider to be “moldable.”
- Prediction: The Packers will select two cornerbacks in this draft. One will have potential for a conversion to safety.
- Prediction: The Packers will not draft 12 players. Trade-ups will be made.
- Opinion: Ted should increase the weight he gives to need in this draft. The team is in a position to warrant it.
- Whisper: If the Packers don’t take McClellin, their next LB target could be Bobby Wagner.
- Whisper: The Packers are considering Austin Davis as a late-round development quarterback pick if they don’t pull the trigger on B.J. Coleman much earlier.
9:05PMEST: Addendum: Got late word that Packers are keeping a close eye on Brockers, who some think could fall into the 20s.——————
Jersey Al Bracco is the founder and editor of AllGreenBayPackers.com, and the co-founder of Packers Talk Radio Network. He can be heard as one of the Co-Hosts on Cheesehead Radio and is the Green Bay Packers Draft Analyst for Drafttek.com.