Green Bay Packers NFL Draft prospect profile: WR Josh Boyce, TCU
Josh Boyce, WR TCU
5-11, 206 pounds
Hometown: Copperas Cove, TX
40 time: 4.38
Bench press: 22 reps
Broad jump: 131 inches
3-cone drill: 6.68 seconds
60 TD shuttle: 11.26 seconds
News and Notes:
Teammate of Robert Griffith in high school. … Impressive at the NFL combine. … Discovered that he had a broken pinkie toe soon after the combine. … First-team All Mountain West WR as a sophomore. … Caught 66 passes and seven TDs as a junior in nine games. … Average height and weight, but very quick. … Not much of a blocker. … Looks like a prototypical NFL slot receiver.
What they’re saying about him:
- CBS Sports: “The 5-foot-11, 206-pound Boyce is a natural playmaker who emerged as a standout once given the opportunity to play as a redshirt freshman in 2010. He played in every game that year, emerging as a big play threat for Andy Dalton with 646 yards receiving and six touchdowns. He enjoyed his best statistical season in 2011, leading the team with 61 catches for 998 yards and nine scores. His numbers dropped a bit in 2012, though much of this can be attributed to the fact the team’s incumbent starting quarterback, Casey Pachall, only played four games before substance-abuse issues made him unavailable. Boyce ranks as the No. 20 wide receiver on NFLDraftScout.com’s board and is currently projected as a fifth-round pick. His stock has been rising due to the impressive workout and his solid tape and league sources characterized him as a potential day two prospect.“
- NFL.com: “Boyce’s average height and maxed-out frame won’t wow scouts, but the quickness and strength that made him a playmaker at the college level makes him a potentially dangerous weapon in the slot, with the possibility of being able to line up on the outside.”
- Speed on routes doesn’t really impress me. After the catch, though, is a different story.
- Seems like he should be a better blocker given his build.
- I don’t know…I don’t see him strictly as a slot WR. He might have a chance to do a few things on the outside.
- I liked his hands in the video, doesn’t let the ball get into his body while making catches.
- Runs good routes, good burst after the catch, can go deep and work underneath
- Who was TCU’s QB last season? Yikes…This kid would probably kill to play with Aaron Rodgers.
If drafted by the Packers:
Boyce reminds me more of Randall Cobb than Greg Jennings. If the Packers think he compares to either player, they should draft him.
I’ve seen Boyce projected to go as high as the second round. That seems high to me, but there’s nothing wrong with feeding Rodgers more weapons whenever possible.
I love Randall Cobb, but he seemed to wear down a bit last season. Perhaps another slot WR with some return skills could preserve Cobb a bit and make him just as effective in week 17 as he is in week four.——————
Adam Czech is a a freelance sports reporter living in the Twin Cities and a proud supporter of American corn farmers. When not working, Adam is usually writing about, thinking about or worrying about the Packers. Follow Adam on Twitter. Twitter .