Brett Favre will not get his number retired by the Packers next season.
That in and of itself is not the story.
The story is why.
The Packers and Favre fear a negative reception from the fans.
“That is an issue,” Murphy said, via ESPN Wisconsin’s Jason Wilde. “He doesn’t want it, and neither do we. He wouldn’t want to come back and get booed. You can’t control 80,750 people. I really think as time goes on, every year that passes, it’s less likely that he would get booed, but that is an issue.”
Exactly Ted. You cannot control over 80,000 fans. So why would waiting until 2015 or 2016 change anything?
What we’ve learned about Favre is that he moves the needle in Wisconsin and among Packers fans. And since 2008, allegiances have shifted. Many will cheer him when he comes back to see his number on the Lambeau Field facade.
However, many will boo. And I know that no matter how long Ted Thompson is willing to wait, those folks will boo because Favre decided to wear the hated purple of the Minnesota Vikings.
Just get it done already. He is getting his bronze bust in the summer of 2016 and the Packers have to retire No. 4 before then. Waiting on the correct time is admirable, but it’s not going to sway anyone at this point.
Packers News, Notes and Links
- Nice farewell column by Green Bay Press-Gazette writer Mike Vandermause. He is leaving sports media to be the communications director at Green Bay Community Church.
- The Packers’ revenue continues to grow. The team saw an increase of 5.2 percent from last year.
- Tony, Wisconsin native Jim Leonhard says he has had conversations with the Packers.
- Packers Pro Shop to hold grand opening July 17th.
- The top play winner for the Green Bay Packers franchise is an obvious one. It is none other than Bart Starr’s famous sneak to win the Ice Bowl over the Cowboys.
Non Packers links and other Nonsense