1) Introduction: Tim Masthay has been the brightest spot in Packers’ punting history since the loss of Jon Ryan. Although, it’s not that hard to improve on what Green Bay used to have in Jeremy Kapinos, Masthay’s predecessor.
2) Profile: Tim Masthay
- Age: 27
- Born: 4/16/1987 in Pittsburgh, Penn.
- Height: 6’1″
- Weight: 200
- College: Kentucky
- Rookie Year: 2010
- NFL Experience: 5 years
3) Expectations coming into the season: Masthay was expected to be the same solid force he had been for the first four years in green and gold.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: The first half of the season could be considered Masthay’s highlight reel, while the second half could be considered his lowlight reel. Really, the last eight games were much worse than the first ten games were good.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: Thanks to Aaron Rodgers and company, Masthay didn’t have to do as much as usual. In fact, he had two games where he didn’t have to punt a single time.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Masthay averaged about 34.5 net yards per punt in the playoffs, which was less than spectacular.
7) Intangibles: Will we ever see Masthay’s athleticism utilized again in some fake punts? Or was there simply no reasonable opportunity this year?
Season Report Card (Player Grades):
(C) Level of expectations met during the season
(C-) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(D) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: C-——————Follow @ChadToporski