1) Introduction: Lane Taylor made the 53-man roster for the second year in a row as an undrafted free agent. He was a backup guard and also saw action on special teams. After the 2014 season, he showed what he is: an undrafted free agent of marginal ability. Based on his on-field performance, it’s not a stretch to think 2014 was his final year in Green Bay.
- Age: 25
- Born: 11/22/1989 in Arlington, Texas
- Height: 6’3″
- Weight: 324
- College: Oklahoma State
- Rookie Year: 2013
- NFL Experience: 2 years
3) Expectations coming into the season: After seeing special teams and mop-up duty in 2013, his chances to make the 2014 were limited at best. Taylor probably only made the 2014 squad because of the season-ending injury to Don Barclay and the injured reserve with the return designation for J.C. Tretter during training camp. He was counted upon to back up both guard positions and contribute on field goal and extra point plays.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Taylor really had no highlights because he was a reserve player and usually only found the field during kicks and mop-up duty. However, in the game against the New Orleans Saints, T.J. Lang was injured and Taylor was thrust into the lineup with the starting offense. He struggled mightily and showed he was a marginal backup at best and his future in the league is in doubt.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: Outside of the kicking game, Taylor made no positive contributions to the team. Even his kicking game contributions were troubling because he was part of the units that allowed far too many blocked kicks, including the inexcusable extra point blocks, which should never be blocked. He had trouble blocking anyone every time he was on the field.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Outside of the kicking game, Taylor made no positive contributions to the team.
7) Intangibles: He has an entry in Wikipedia.
Season Report Card (Player Grades):
(F) Level of expectations met during the season.
(F) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(Inc) Contributions to team during the playoffs.
Overall Grade: F——————