1) Introduction: One of the “interesting” picks in the back end of the 2014 NFL draft by Ted Thompson, many fans wondered just who Demetri Goodson was. Was Goodson able to make a name for himself?
- Age: 25
- Born: June 11, 1989, Charleston, West Virginia
- Height: 5’11”
- Weight: 194
- College: Baylor
- Rookie Year: 2014
- NFL Experience: R
3) Expectations coming into the season: Make the team. As a 6th round pick in a position of depth for the Packers, there was no real rush to prove anything out the gate. While obviously higher round picks are almost guaranteed picks based on the investment that the team has put in them, as a 6th round pick, not making the team in any regard would be a complete failure, getting on the practice squad would be a disappointment and making the 53 man roster would be a success. Well, Goodson managed to succeed in getting on the 53 man roster, but didn’t really do much after that.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: None of either really. Goodson did have 3 special teams tackles against the Lions in the season finale, which could be considered a highlight, but in reality Goodson didn’t play enough to really make a good or bad impression on the field.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: None. Goodson only saw playing time on special teams 4 times all at the end of the season and did not see any time on the defense.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Goodson was inactive for both games in the playoffs and therefore did not make an impact.
7) Intangibles: It’s pretty rare for a rookie coming out college to be 25 years old and unfortunately for Goodson, cornerback careers in the NFL are stunningly short. Considering that he signed the standard 4 year rookie deal, Goodson will be 29 or 30 by the time he’s looking for his next contract, which is a terrible age to be looking to cash in as a cornerback.
Season Report Card (Player Grades):
(INC) Level of expectations met during the season
(INC) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(INC) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: INC——————
Thomas Hobbes is a staff writer for Jersey Al’s AllGreenBayPackers.com.