The Packers travel for their second and final road game of the preseason to St. Louis, where thankfully the weather will be perfect.
Mike McCarthy Pregame Show
- JC Tretter: graded out very well last week. He did a heck of a job, especially in those conditions. 10 clean snaps. He graded out very high.
- punt return: Jeff Janis is getting an opportunity tonight and Davante Adams, we’ll see how he’s doing in the pre-game. Adams will play on offense, but we’ll see how he’s doing pre-game with the punt returns.
- Jeff Janis: he’s a talented young man, I’d like to see him play today, but he’s behind from all the time he missed. He’s made a play almost every day in practice.
- What are you looking for today: I look for the team to take a step, identify you’re playing style. Important for us to be physical and finish. I want to see the quality of the finish.
Packers vs. Rams – First Impressions – First Quarter:
- Harris takes the first kickoff return, but gets tripped up by Benny Cunningham at the 14.
- Aaron Rodgers, Eddie Lacy and Jordy Nelson all show up for the first series, a good sign.
- Also on first team offense; JC Tretter, Richard Rodgers and Jarrett Boykin (311 set)
- Running game looks to have picked up from last week.
- Lacy is making a case to change his last name to “Moss”.
- What was the Ram’s defense doing on the TD play? Rodgers slowed down to a jog before throwing the ball.
- First team defense: Peppers, Hyde, Burnett and Raji
- Surprisingly its Burnett who gets subbed out for Clinton-Dix and not Hyde; is this because Burnett is coming off an injury or something more?
- Hyde gets first shot to return punts, Rodgers looks to get another series.
- Rodgers (TE) replaced by Bostick, Lacy replaced by Starks, Davante Adams in the mix this series too.
- Rodgers with some nice moves and a nice 35 yard completion to Andrew Quarless.
Packers vs. Rams – First Impressions – Second Quarter:
- Bakhtiari penalty wipes out a Packers TD, even in the preseason that stings. Crosby drills the 31-yard field goal.
- Sam Shields gets too greedy trying to get the interception and ends up giving up a 41-yard reception.
- Peppers shows some nice bend and disrupts Bradford’s throw.
- Sam Shields forced to draw a penalty to save a touchdown, not a good series for him.
- Packers run defense is pretty good, pass defense? Not so much.
- Scott Tolzein gets the first shot after Rodgers, gets immediately drilled due to a bad block by Sherrod.
- Neal and Pennel combine for a sack.
- Derek Sherrod and Aaron Adams are making life hard for Tolzien; Sherrod appears to be having issues with speed rushes.
- Overall, the Packers are showing good efficiency on the running game, with 58 yards on 13 attempts (4.5 ypc), passing game has been up and down.
Packers vs. Rams – First Impressions – Third Quarter:
- Sam Barrington looks like Desmond Bishop in his prime with a A gap blitz.
- Jeff Janis getting a prolonged look at punt returner, at least he hasn’t dropped the ball yet.
- Brian Bostick has a leg injury and will not return, hopefully not too serious.
- Dujuan Harris goes from hero to zero after coughing up the ball. He should consider himself lucky that Rajion Neal is out with an injury.
- Ha Ha with a sneaky Woodson-esque sack, the more multifaceted they can get with Clinton-Dix, the better.
- Solid catch by Davante Adams, he keeps reminding me of Anquan Boldin.
- Fantastic blocking train on the screen to Michael Hill.
- And another touchdowns gets wiped out by penalty. Again its nice to see that the Packers can power through on offense, but it still stings.
- Linsley with two back to back penalties, first the block to the face, second with the late snap.
- Miles White gets a shot a punt returning, Matt Flynn finally gets his shot.
- Touchdown from Flynn to Janis, and of course there’s a penalty. Luckily, its on the defense for once.
- Davante Adams good for the 2-point conversion; I can’t imagine the Packers are going for it for any other reason than just for tape.
Packers vs. Rams – First Impressions – Fourth Quarter:
- What’s with all the good things going for the Packers getting wiped out by penalties? Banjo interception negated by hands to the face penalty, what exactly is a hands to the face penalty?
- Wow, NFL network if you are having technical difficulties, tell me whats going on, don’t just show adds and a “greatest hits” of the 2013 season.
- Stuff has happened…..I have no idea what, but Packers have apparently made it to a scoring opportunity.
- Sherrod with another mistake, but Flynn should have gotten rid of the ball sooner.
- Crosby looks very comfortable, makes a 49-yard field goal.
- I think they’ve messed up on the snap distribution, too much time was given to the 2nd team offense and Tolzein. No idea how the Packers are going to grade the 3rd team with 5 mins of tape. Rettig might get 1 series at best at this point.
- Jayrone Elliot is just destroying Hooey for an entire series. Is Elliot that good or is Hooey that bad?
- Carl Bradford finally makes an appearance, manages to pressure the quarterback.
- Adams finally fields a clean catch, but then dances around and loses yardage. I think its time to admit Adams isn’t a returner.
- Adrian Hubbard gets a sack, on another note Carl Bradford playing some ILB.
- Davante Adams gets another shot at punt returning and finally gets something, of course there’s another penalty so at least there’s one thing that’s consistent.
- Chase Rettig finally getting some playing time, he’s got 2 minutes to erase the Titans game.
- Rettig is going to be the first man to see the turk, it’s the preseason and the Packers are killing the clock by running the ball like it was a real game.
Packers vs. Rams – First Impressions – Conclusion:
- Packers 21, Rams 7; good to see the Packers get the win
- The Packers 1st team offense looks good to go, while the 1st defense needs some work but nothing to worry about.
- I’m still not convinced on Peppers as a full time OLB; he does seem a little uneasy with his head up, sometimes running himself out of plays.
- Tolzien got an extended look this week and frankly I’m still not sold. While Tolzien definitely has more arm strength and athleticism, Flynn is a better quarterback right now. Flynn has more poise and a better command of the offense. Would the Packers be willing to give Tolzien another year to mature?
- Sherrod probably wishes he was still playing the Titans; he simply had a horrendous game early on but seemed to settle down a little as the game wore on.
- The Packers look to have a log jam at wide receiver; Nelson, Cobb, Boykin and Adams are obviously locks to make it. Janis and Dorsey both had good game as well. Maybe they steal a spot for tight end this year.
- Speaking of Janis, let’s give him a little more time before anointing him a lock on the roster. He made one great play but he needs to make a lot more in order to make this roster.
- Jayrone Elliot simply cannot be that good, but he definitely didn’t hurt himself after wrecking an offensive series all by himself. He’s put himself firmly in the “keep an eye on” category for the rest of the preseason.
- Overall, the Packers look to be on track for the regular season.
Thomas Hobbes is a staff writer for Jersey Al’s AllGreenBayPackers.com.