The Green Bay Packers started their organized team activities (OTA’s) on Thursday. This was the first time that all players on the current roster got together to practice. Two week ago, the Packers held a rookie orientation and mini camp to acclimate the newcomers to the team’s culture, facilities and schemes.
I, for one, am glad that we finally have some live action to talk about. After all of the draft build up and free agency, it’s good to get back to seeing guys doing actual football things.
Here are a few quick hits from the practice opener:
– Not OTA-related but the Packers did agree to terms with first round pick and safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix today. The deal is reportedly worth four years and $8.25 million.
– Speaking of rookies, not one of them worked with the first teams on Thursday. No entitlement going on in Green Bay this season.
– Rookies Davante Adams and Khyri Thornton not at practice. At NFLPA Rookie Premiere
– Micah Hyde lined up at the safety position next to Morgan Burnett in first team drills. Clinton-Dix will have to earn his way to a starting gig.
– J.C. Tretter lined up at center with the first team. Rookie Corey Linsley is also in for a battle.
– Among those returning punts: Tramon Williams, Randall Cobb, Micah Hyde, Jared Abbrederis, and Jeff Janis
– Offensive lineman Bryan Bulaga, running back DuJuan Harris and cornerback Casey Hayward were active in Thursday’s practice. Bulaga lined up at right tackle and wore a knee brace.
– Julius Peppers worked with the outside linebackers
– Offensive lineman Josh Sitton is apparently taking a page out of the Boston Red Sox’s playbook from last year and not shaving his face. . at all. Frankly, I’m glad. The Packers could use a bit more “nasty”.
– Tight end Colt Lyerla caught some, dropped some. Did appear to receive the biggest ovation from the crowd, even bigger than Abbrederis’s
– Tight ends Andrew Quarless and Brandon Bostick, linebackers Clay Matthews and Nick Perry and running back Johnathan Franklin watched, but did not participate in Thursday’s practice.
We will have more updates as the week progresses!
Jason Perone is an independent sports blogger writing about the Packers on AllGreenBayPackers.comFollow Jason Perone: