Mike McCarthy OTA Press Conference Highlights

1. Tarynfor12
    May 30, 2014

Excellent article about players that are wearing the Packers attire at this moment and the things that took place with the public OTA’s and the synopsis on the McCarthy presser.

Jason Perone
      May 30, 2014

Thank you!:)

2. Big T
    May 30, 2014

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 10

• Slim11
      May 30, 2014

It’s too soon to compare Peppers to Saturday.

As much as I hope Colt Lyerla is in a better situation in GB than Moss was in Minneapolis, this may be a valid comparison. My hope is the Green Bay community is a positive influence in addition to the Packers’ locker room.

Lyerla seems to realize the opportunity he has. Moss didn’t fall the way Lyerla did and maybe that contributed to Moss’ conduct. He didn’t fall to almost rock bottom as Lyerla did.

3. Turophile
    May 30, 2014

The clues to the Packers confidence in Tretter as a center lay in the realease of EDS. No real attempt seemed to be made to keep him.

The likely backup this year could be Linsley (drafted 5th round). Although not a big center, he is exceptionally strong. While pass pro is critical, the Packers are positioning themselves to be better at run blocking. Tretter should be another step up there, just as EDS was from Saturday, and Linsley also has enough ability to be a strength upgrade over EDS in time.

4. Oppy
    May 30, 2014

I really didn’t think there was a way for Hyde to be on the field that often, because I don’t think you can take tramon, Sam, or Casey off of the field in favor of Hyde too frequently, and with the signing of Haha, I’d expect he’d see little if any time at safety.

It will be interesting to see how/if MM really does get him on the field that much… I guess, it’s more accurate to say it’ll be interesting to see who gets sat down to get Micah on the field that much.

• Stroh
      May 31, 2014

This is nothing against C-D, but don’t be too surprised if Hyde is the starting Safety opposite Burnett. I know they are slimming down the playbook, but its still going to be difficult to learn it all and take a step up to another level.

I know most think if C-D isn’t starting they’ll call him a bust immediately, but I can see Hyde keeping the starting job for a year before C-D takes it over for good.

• Oppy
        June 1, 2014

I agree with that. The safeties, beyond just having to absolutely know what their own responsibilities are as a WRs route develops in front of them, have to also know the coverage changes as opposing offensive formations motion and shift pre-snap, and make the necessary adjustments in called coverage clear to the CBs in front of them.

Tall order for a rookie new to the system.

5. fatalflaw
    May 31, 2014

100% of zero is still zero, but I enjoyed the article!

• Dobber
      May 31, 2014

Yes, but 1/0 = undefined. So one interception from the safeties this year would be an undefined improvement.

6. Barry
    May 31, 2014

Two head scratchers;

1) Money Training Priority over Football?

Why would the NFL take football players away from football training for beginners(rookies)during initial fundamentals classes,to teach them about money on those particular days?

2) Remember the old saying “jack of all trades, master of none”? I wish we would draft, buy, and train “masters” and not “jacks”. I do not believe McCarthy’s “jacks” can attain the same superior skill as a “master”, but I believe a “master” can fill in occassionally at another position as a temporary bandaid until the master is back or another master is found. I hope McCarthy doesn’t take a great defensive end and try to make him real”versatile” and try him at center,safety, tight end or another unproven position………linebacker.

7. Tmoneey
    May 31, 2014

I think GB’s best defensive package would be a 3 man line, Datone Jones or Mike Daniels, Raji at nose, and Peppers at the other DE spot. Then Perry at the ROLB spot and Matthews at the LOLB spot. 3 CB’s Shields,Williams,Hayward, and 3 safety: Clinton-Dix, Burnett, and Hyde. Maximize personnel to get off the field on 3rd downs.

• Icebowler
      June 1, 2014

That would be fine on third and long.