Surviving Sunday: Packers News, Notes and Links for the Football Deprived

1. James David
    April 6, 2014

In the first three rounds of the draft, I would go ILB Mosley, FS Bucannon, TE Fiedorowicz, and C Richberg/Martin.

• BradHTX
      April 6, 2014

I would be thrilled with that draft, or if it was Shazier instead if Mosely. All guys that I love what I’m reading about them.

• Dobber
      April 6, 2014

BPA or deal down (if there’s a partner to be had). Addressing need at that stage as well, would be awesome. The Packers aren’t so without holes that they can’t use the best talent on the board at most positions.

2. Scheny Schen
    April 6, 2014

Since this is the potpourri article of the week, I have to say “Congrats Bucky” for an incredible season and a great run through the tournament. 5.7seconds from playing for an NCAA championship. A great group of guys and an ultra-entertaining season and tournament. One of my favorite Badger sporting events ever. The loss was tough but they should be really good next year as well. As Charles Barkley said in the post-game, “you should be proud of yourselves and the state of Wisconsin should be proud”. Count me as one who is! GoBucky!

• Savage57
      April 6, 2014

That’s one of the things that makes ‘March Madness’, well, mad.

As they said, TJacks shot is an inch or two shallower and Bucky’s the one still dancing Monday night.

3. Scheny Schen

4. Mark
    April 6, 2014

You had me until you used Knowshawn as an example of how good backs are undervalued in today’s NFL. He was worthless before Manning and is doubtful to be productive after moving on from that offense. Time will tell, but I think hebis a prime example of how the system can make a pretty mundane player into a very productive one at the rb position.

5. JH9
    April 6, 2014

It’s Sunday. I’m football-starved, and I have some time. I’m going to take issue with Drafttek’s draft for the Packers:
    1st Round – If CJ Mosley is gone, I have no problem with Drafttek’s pick Ryan Shazier.
    2nd Round – I have a big problem with this pick. They draft a Center?! I think we should draft a Center, but not until the late rounds. From the research I’ve done, we can get a really good Center in the 5th Round. Just because Bucannon is taken doesn’t mean we shouldn’t use this pick to get the best Safety left on the board. Ed Reynolds from Stanford is a really good Safety and some would argue he is even better than Bucannon. I say our need for a Safety is great and I believe we should use this pick for the best Safety available.
    3rd Round – Drafttek picks ILB, Yarwin Smallwood. He is a really good player, but we have already picked Shazier who I would expect to be moved to ILB. I would say that we should use this pick to get a back-up for Raji. Raji has only a one-year contract and we don’t have a true nose tackle on the team now to back him up. With this pick there are several really good DTs that should available like Will Sutton, Ego Ferguson, and Kelcy Quarless.
    3rd Round Second Pick – Here is where Drafttek picks a Safety, Ahmad Dixon. IMO, this pick should be used for the best TE, or WR, or CB. There are only four TEs in this draft who I think are better than the TEs we already have. I’m sure Ebron and Amaro will be gone but either Niklas or Fiedorowicz could be available. If either of them is available we should take them. If not, pick the best WR ( Donte Moncrief, Martavis Bryant) or CB (Marcus Roberson, Louchiez Purifoy) and with the 4th Round pick take either the WR or CB not taken in the 3rd Round.
    5th Round – Pick the best C ( Martin, Stork, Linsley) and maybe use the second pick to take a WR who is also a return specialist ( John Brown or Allen Hurns) We certainly need one!
    Rounds 6 & 7 – Take players for special teams.
    Now that I got that out of my system, I don’t feel quite as football-starved. Thanks!

• Stroh
      April 6, 2014

Agree. No problem w/ Shazier in the 1st. Good pick and since he put on about 10 lbs I like him as much as Mosley at ILB.

2nd rd. In this mock I would have gone w/ WR and my guy is Donte Moncrief.

3rd rd. My 1st choice would have been Terrence Brooks S FL. St. Reminds a lot of Nick Collins. Exceptional closing speed, aggressive in run support. Needs to work on his hands, drops too many INT’s and control his aggression a bit, but he’s a very good Safety prospect.

6. Two Bears, One Cup
    April 6, 2014

I don’t think Rehor is right about a double standard. I agree with your comments and PackersNation’s comments on that article. I’m ready to forgive and retire, but I will never look at Favre the same. I will never look at Braun the same, either, but Favre’s crime is betrayal and that’s treason is a capital offense.

7. GBPDAN
    April 6, 2014

I agree Scheny, the badgers had a great season. Very eentertaining. My heart sank when Kentucky hit that 3 pointer with 5 seconds left, but i held out hope that we were heading to the championship game, oh well.

8. Stroh
    April 6, 2014

I can’t see the argument of RB’s being too devalued. Look at the most recent RB’s taken in the 1st round. Richardson, Ingram, Martin, Wilson, Spiller, Matthews, Best, Brown and Moreno all have done very little to speak of in the NFL. Only one that has lived up to a 1st rd pick are Martin. A case might be made for Spiller, but even that’s hedging. Matthews has be pretty good not 1st rd worthy IMO.

Now look at the 2nd rd RB. LeSean McCoy, Rice, CJ2K, Tate (now a starter), Geo Bernard and Lacy all have been been more impressive than the 1st rd RB taken. The hit rate on 2nd rd RB is much higher than the 1st rd. A few 2nd rd guys haven’t gotten the chance to really prove themselves either. Gerhart, Ball, Bell, Micheal will be getting their chances very soon if they haven’t yet.

I just don’t see the value of a RB in the 1st. Production-wise, cost efficiency and performance, not too mention the very short shelf life of a RB, doesn’t make it worth a 1st rd pick anymore.

9. Thegreatreynoldo
    April 7, 2014

Chicago Bears signed Center Brian de la Puente, age 29, to a 1 year contract at the veteran minimum with a $65,000 signing bonus and $100,000 base salary guarantee per the Chicago Tribune and ESPN blog. Possibly a qualifying contract wherein the cap hit is less than the amount de la Puente receives (tip off is the $65,000 signing bonus, the most allowed under the CBA for a qualifying contract.

Puente was the starting center for New Orleans. He is above average in pass protection and downright bad at run blocking. Reports indicate that he has accepted being a back up center for Garza, the bears current center, who himself is on a 1 year contract for $1.5 million. It may be that de la Puente hopes to be the starter after Garza retires in 2015.

At the risk of only $165K, GB can’t have a veteran center on the roster? Well, maybe de la Puente liked the situation in Chicago better, and he played for some of the Bears’ coaches in the past. Still….. just for insurance.

10. Calabasa
    April 7, 2014

An ILB named “Smallwood”? please no, I don’t care how good he is!

Imagine how much crap AJ would take if his last name were “Dove.” He’d of been cut by now…

11. Calabasa
    April 7, 2014

An ILB named “Smallwood”? please no, I don’t care how good he is!

12. Leilani Chacon
    April 20, 2014

Great Information, thanks for the great Post. I will come back soon .