Packers prospect profile: S Calvin Pryor
Calvin Pryor, S Louisville, 5-11, 207 pounds Hometown: Port St. Joe, FL
40 time: 4.58
Vertical jump: 34.5″
225 lb. bench: 18 reps
Broad jump: 9’08”
News and Notes:
First team all AAC selection in 2013. . .did miss one game due to a suspension for violation of an unspecified team rule. . 75 tackles last season . . . 2012 Pryor logged over 100 tackles and forced five fumbles while starting 13 games. . .also played running back in high school.
What they’re saying about him:
- CBSSports.com: Prototype body type with good anticipation and explosive closing speed. Reliable open-field tackler and intimidating presence. Lowers his shoulder on impact to create collisions in run support and when protecting the middle of the field in coverage. Good vision and spatial awareness to slip amongst the mass of humanity near the line of scrimmage to locate the ball. Shows no desire for self-preservation when taking on blockers, dropping to take them out at the knees and often is able to take out the ballcarrier. Very good ball skills. Can extend and pluck outside of his frame and shows excellent awareness to get his feet inbounds. Almost too physical in an era in which heavy hitters often draw penalty flags. Drops his shoulder into defenders but some of his hits could be interpreted as leading with the crown of his helmet. Wasn’t asked to cover slot receivers in Louisville’s scheme. A bit stiff when changing direction, allowing some separation by receivers, especially on double-moves.
- NFL.com: Very good instincts. Physical, lights-out hitter. Very aggressive running the alley and seeks to make his presence felt in the run game. Sacrifices his body. Defensive tempo-setter. Good pre-snap recognition — makes adjustments. Explosive tackler. Can leverage the field off the hash and cover ground. Good zone recognition. Rangy enough to play center field. Carries a swagger and plays with confidence. Plays with too much reckless abandon and lacks discipline playing the cutback. Takes some bad angles and can be outflanked to the perimeter. Average production on the ball. Not asked to play a lot of man coverage.
- This is a highlight reel so don’t forget, it doesn’t show the plays he missed
- Very disruptive when around the ball, makes his presence felt
- Appears to have good closing skills, has quickness
- Ruthless when tackling with the play in front of him. Will need to refine his game to NFL rules
- Lined up near line of scrimmage and was good in run support
- Can see how he will miss tackles when coming after the ball carrier with reckless abandon at times
- Does have good ball skills and gets after the interception, takes a good angle
- Plays with a lot of emotion and looks to establish that early and often
If drafted by the Packers:
Much like Clinton-Dix, this is another solid option for the Packers in round one. Pryor has been mocked to Green Bay in a number of drafts and has to garner serious consideration if he is still on the board when the Packers pick. He won’t last beyond round one. Pryor has been described as the most complete safety in this year’s draft. While Clinton-Dix has good size and physicality, Pryor looks to be able to get up near the line and be disruptive on both the front and the back end. Green Bay’s safeties do blitz and Pryor would be able to offer that element right away. Covering receivers in college isn’t the same as it is in the NFL and Pryor is a question mark in deep coverage. With the play in front of him, it’s hard to find a better safety. In a cover-2 shell or as the single high option, he could struggle early in his career. His style could garner the wrong kind of attention from the officials and with the new rules on player safety. He will need to refine his game so as not to cost his team on a potential big play. If Clinton-Dix is off the board, the Packers would be wise to snatch up this top-flight prospect and solidify the back end of their secondary.——————
Jason Perone is an independent sports blogger writing about the Packers on AllGreenBayPackers.comFollow Jason Perone: