Scott Tolzien Green Bay Packers 2013 Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction: Scott Tolzien was waived by the 49ers on Aug. 26 and on Sept. 1 he was signed to the Packers practice squad. Nobody thought he would actually get playing time, let alone make something of it. But that’s exactly what the former Wisconsin Badger, that racked up a 21-5 record at Madison, did.
- Age: 26
- Born:Â 9/4/1987 in Rolling Meadows, Ill.
- Height: 6’3″
- Weight: 208
- College:Â Wisconsin
- Rookie Year: 2013
- NFL Experience:Â 1
3) Expectations coming into the season:Â Hardly any. Most people knew how well he could run a team and that he was a winner but they didn’t know how if he had the intangibles to succeed in the NFL.
4) Playerâ€™s highlights/low-lights:Â Getting thrust into a tough spot after backup Seneca Wallace went down with a groin injury on the first drive. Tolzien threw for 280 yards, including an impressive 22-yard touchdown in a 27-13 loss to Philadelphia. The next week, he threw for 339 yards against the Giants but he did it by also throwing three picks. And after struggling the following week to Minnesota, Tolzien was replaced by Matt Flynn midway through the third quarter.
5) Playerâ€™s contribution to the overall team success:Â Marginal. He showed that he can make all the throws in the NFL, but he also showed that like many pro quarterbacks, he doesn’t have it all figured out yet. There’s a reason why the Packers kept him on the roster, because they want to see what talent they can unearth from this kid.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs:Â N/A.
Season Report Card:
(C+) Level of expectations met during the season
(B-) Contributions to teamâ€™s overall success.
(N/A)Â Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: Â C+â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”
Cory Jennerjohn is from Wisconsin and has been in sports media for over 10 years. To contact Cory e-mail him at jeobs -at- yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter: Cory Jennerjohn