Note: Relax, no need to go check your calendar – it’s not Sunday. Just a little scheduling snafu. Look for a bonus edition tomorrow, though…
I’m going straight to the Packers news and commentary this week. No time for a long intro rant or rave. There is snow to shovel. More and more snow to shovel.
By the time this winter is over, my back is going to snap in half from shoveling and Dr. Pat McKenzie will refuse to clear me in time for training camp.
Packers news, notes and links
- Tyler Dunne at the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel talked to a bunch of folks about Sam Shields. Is Shields worth a mega-contract? You might not find a faster corner in the league. But Shields also has missed games every season with various injuries. And he has a little ways to go before truly being one of the league’s top corners instead of having the potential to be one of the league’s top corners. As with any free-agent decision, it all comes down to value. I’d like to see Shields re-signed, but if he walks, the Packers still have Tramon Williams, a returning Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde and Davon House at cornerback.
- Mike Mccarthy sounded optimistic in an interview at the NFL Scouting Combine that Jermichael Finley would play again. Finley had the same two vertebrae fused that ended Nick Collins career. I’m rooting for Finley to make it back, but I still have doubts that, if he does return, it’ll be with the Packers. Either way, I’m curious what kind of offer he gets in free agency if he is cleared.
- Ted Thompson also spoke at the combine. As usual, he said nothing.
- I agree with John Rehor over at Packerstalk.com: Let’s calm down about Ted Thompson preparing to go all nutso in free agency. I don’t see it happening. I do think Thompson will sign a few guys. There has been value in some under-the-radar veterans in recent years that don’t completely blow up a team’s payroll. Thompson has missed the boat on some of these guys and won’t want to miss it again. At least I hope he won’t…
- As always, when you’re at Packerstalk.com, check out the latest podcasts from this week.
- This is an interesting post from Brian Carriveau at CheeseheadTV examining Nick Perry and the three-point stance. Should Perry go back to putting his hand on the ground as a defensive end instead of standing up as an outside linebacker? Who knows. Either way, he needs to stay healthy. That’s priority No. 1.
- Ian Rappoport from NFL.com reported this week that one of the Packers top priorities is signing Jordy Nelson to a contract extension. Thompson will probably have to open up his wallet after re-signing Nelson (4 years, $14 million) for way below what his market value eventually became halfway through the 2011 season. Randall Cobb wants a new deal too, but it sounds like those talks haven’t started yet. I say sign both of these guys ASAP.
Non-Packers links and other nonsense
- If you’re not watching HBO’s True Detective, you’re missing out on an amazing hour of television every week.
- This Brian Williams mashup to “Rapper’s Delight” is good, but I prefer The Wolfe of Wall Street Meshuggah face.
- What’s the first old-school wrestling pay-per-view that you’re going to watch when the WWE Network launches on Monday? I’m going to watch Wrestlemania VIII. Ric Flair vs. Macho Man Randy Savage was a classic.
- Looking to maximize your profits on selling Girl Scout cookies? Set up shop in front of a pot dispensary.
Adam Czech is a a freelance sports reporter living in the Twin Cities and a proud supporter of American corn farmers. When not working, Adam is usually writing about, thinking about or worrying about the Packers. Follow Adam on Twitter. Twitter .