1) Introduction: The Packers started the 2012 season with only seven offensive linemen on the roster, showing a tremendous amount of faith in unheralded Evan Dietrich-Smith and Don Barclay. As we now know, both of those players became starters a year later; one could say out of necessity, but with little doubt they earned their spots. Barclay had competition for his spot and won out with blue collar work ethic and a never-say die determination.
- Age: 24
- Born: 4/18/1989 in Newport News, VA
- Height: 6’4″
- Weight: 305
- College: West Virginia
- Rookie Year: 2012
- NFL Experience: 2 years
3) Expectations coming into the season: Having ended the 2012 season with 4 starts at right tackle and Bryan Bulaga being moved to left tackle, Barclay would be challenged by Marshall Newhouse and David Bakhtiari for the starting right tackle job.When Bulaga went down and Sherrod proved still not ready to play, Bakhtiari became the starting left tackle and Barclay was left to compete with Marshall Newhouse for the right tackle job.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Barclay’s season lowlight was in the playoff game against the 49ers. He was on his heels early and often, allowing a good amount of pressure on Aaron Rodgers. Barclay’s cleanest game was against the Cowboys. Barclay pitched a shutout in that game – no sacks, no QB hits and no QB pressures.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: In terms of pass protection, Barclay was the most ineffective of the Packers starters. In 15 games, according to ProFootballFocus, Barclay surrendered 9 sacks, 6 GB Hits and 27 QB Hurries. Barclay’s tenacity as a run blocker was a big asset to the Packers’ new found running game with Eddie Lacy.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: As stated previously, Barclay had a tough time in the playoffs against the 49ers. Ahmad Brooks was able to get consistent pressure on Rodgers and Barclay was ”
credited” with giving up 1.5 sacks and five quarterback hurries.
Season Report Card:
(B-) Level of expectations met during the season
(C) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(C-) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: C——————
Jersey Al Bracco is the founder and editor of AllGreenBayPackers.com, and the co-founder of Packers Talk Radio Network. He can be heard as one of the Co-Hosts on Cheesehead Radio and is the Green Bay Packers Draft Analyst for Drafttek.com.