Andy Mulumba 2013 Green Bay Packers Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction: Packers fans did not expect to hear the name “Andy Mulumba” Â as one of their defensive starters during the 2013 season. Â Mulumba was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Michigan. Â He was likely initially signed as depth and not much more and he was by no means a lock to even make the roster going into training camp. Â Thanks to injuries that decimated the Packers at the linebacker position, Mulumba was called upon in 14 games and started three.
2) Profile: Andy Mulumba
- Age: 23
- Born: 01/31/1990 in Luputa, Congo
- Height: 6â€™3â€³
- Weight: 260
- College: Eastern Michigan
- Rookie Year: 2013
- NFL Experience: 1 year
- Career Stats and more
3) Expectations coming into the season: Signed as an undrafted free agent, there was absolutely no guarantee Mulumba would even make the roster. Â With Clay Matthews and Nick Perry set as the Packers’ two outside linebackers, Mulumba’s addition was strictly for depth and that’s about it. Â Not many expected Mulumba to make the team, let alone play a role in the season.
4) Playerâ€™s highlights/low-lights: Well, the earliest highlight for Mulumba was just making the team thanks to a strong showing in the preseason. Â He also had a key fumble recovery in the tie against the Minnesota Vikings and recorded a crucial sack in the see saw battle in the Week 17 matchup against the Chicago Bears that the Packers won to clinch the NFC North title. Â His lowlight, like much of the Packers’ defense, is in failing to generate a pass rush and letting Colin Kaepernick make critical runs in the postseason defeat to the San Francisco 49ers.
5) Playerâ€™s contribution to the overall team success: Since Mulumba was not expected to contribute anything on the field this season, he definitely exceeded a lot of expectations. Â He was basically thrown into the fire due to injuries and held his own in the least ideal of circumstances for an undrafted rookie. Â He played solid in coverage when needed but struggled in run defense and as a pass rusher.
6) Playerâ€™s contributions in the playoffs: Mulumba had one assisted tackle during the playoff loss to the 49ers. Â He was part of a linebacker unit that could not contain Kaepernick in crucial situations
Season Report Card:
(C) Level of expectations met during the season
(C) Contributions to teamâ€™s overall success.
(D) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: C-â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”â€”
Kris Burke is a sports writer covering the Green Bay Packers for AllGreenBayPackers.com and WTMJ in Milwaukee. He is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America (PFWA) and his work has been linked to by sites such as National Football Post and CBSSports.com. Follow @KrisLBurke