Green Bay Packers NFL Draft prospect profile: TE Zach Ertz
Stanford TE Zach Ertz
6-5, 249 pounds
Hometown: Alamo, CA
STATS: College stats
40-yard dash: 4.76 seconds
Bench press: 24 reps
Vertical jump: 30.5 inches
Broad jump: 111 inches
3-cone drill: 7.08 seconds
20-yard shuttle: 4.47 seconds
60-yard shuttle: 11.92 seconds
News and Notes:
Ertz could have left Stanford after his redshirt sophomore season in 2011, but stuck around and was his teams top offensive weapon. … Caught a TD in five straight games to end the 2010 season and start 2011. … Missed three games in 2011 with a knee injury. … All-American in 2012 after catching 69 passes for 898 yards and six touchdowns. … Top tight end recruit in the nation out of Monte Vista High School.
What they’re saying about him:
- NEPatriotsdraft.com: “His ability to be a play-making tight end and stretch the field vertically makes him a very attractive asset to NFL teams. He has sure hands and runs routes with an easiness that is tough to cover. Ertz has the frame and agility to exploit linebackers in man coverage and can always find the soft spot in zone coverage.”
- CBSSports.com: “Weaknesses: Has done a nice job adding bulk to his frame, but needs to continue to develop his strength to sustain blocks at the line of scrimmage. Will round off some routes at times and needs to better control himself in/out of his breaks. Needs to do a better job coming down with contested throws and will drop some easy ones – seems to have at least one drop each game.”
- Hate the drop early in the film. Based on everything I’ve read about Ertz, drops were a bit of an issue for him.
- Not as explosive as he’s hyped up to be, but he’s got a knack for setting into open spots.
- A willing blocker, but he’ll need to bulk up a bit if he wants to be known for his blocking in the NFL.
- Seems most comfortable operating out of the slot where he can get some room to operate coming off the line.
- I don’t know why Notre Dame isn’t jamming him at the line in this video. Ertz seems like a nightmare if he’s allowed to just run untouched to a soft spot in the zone.
- Make sure you check out the catch at the 3:15 mark of the video.
- Is it worth dumping Jermichael Finley and drafting Ertz? I don’t know. I like what I saw from Ertz, but Finley has a lot more talent. NFL teams won’t allow Ertz to just run free like Notre Dame did in this film. Is Ertz big enough to get off jams, still find open spots in the zone and actually hang onto the ball? Finley is a terrible run blocker, but would Ertz be much better? More willing, yes, but I don’t know about better.
Adam Czech is a a freelance sports reporter living in the Twin Cities and a proud supporter of American corn farmers. When not working, Adam is usually writing about, thinking about or worrying about the Packers. Follow Adam on Twitter. Twitter .