1) Introduction: Terrell Manning was selected in the fifth round (pick 163) of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers. He was considered by some to be a bit of a sleeper pick with hidden potential. Unfortunately, he suffered a major setback during training camp when a stomach parasite caused colitis. Not only did it hinder his development and training, but he also lost 15 pounds in the process.
- Age: 22
- Born: 04/16/1990, in Laurinburg, NC
- Height: 6’2″
- Weight: 237
- College: North Carolina State
- Rookie Year: 2012
- NFL Experience: 0 years
3) Expectations coming into the season: While we sometimes put too much stock into the immediate impact a draft pick will have, there was reason to expect more from Terrell Manning. As a fifth round pick, he was at least expected to contribute heavily on special teams while learning the finer points of his primary linebacker position. Being a draft pick doesn’t guarantee a roster spot, but it’s good bet with Ted Thompson as GM.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Even though it might not really count in this category, Terrell Manning’s low-light of the season was training camp. His unlucky stomach parasite destroyed whatever chances he had at really being a competitor at inside linebacker. Manning also suffered a nerve injury in his shoulder during the regular season.
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: Terrell Manning played zero snaps on defense, and his special teams snaps only add up to a paltry 44. And 39 of those snaps came in the two postseason games. While it might be a sign that he’s starting to recover, it could also just be a sign of the Packers not having many other alternatives in light of injuries.
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: See above. He made his biggest impact in the postseason, though that’s not really saying much. As a final thought to just put out there, it’s tough to give Terrell Manning any reasonable grade for the year. The Packers weren’t really in a position to cut him and hope they could stash him on the practice squad for the future.
Season Report Card:
(N/A) Level of expectations met during the season
(N/A) Contributions to team’s overall success.
(D+) Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: (INCOMPLETE)——————Follow @ChadToporski