Packers Mason Crosby: 2012 Player Evaluation and Report Card
1) Introduction:Â My my, what do we do with Mason Crosby. Â On one hand, Crosby had one of the biggest meltdowns for a kicker of late. Â On the other, fans tend to forget that Crosby was a good kicker during the beginning and end of the season and his problems really only manifest themselves during the middle of the season.
Mason Walker Crosby
- Age:Â 28
- Born:Â 09/03/1984, in Lubbock, TX
- Height:Â 6’1″
- Weight:Â 207
- College:Â Colorado
- Rookie Year:Â 2007
- NFL Experience:Â 6 years
3) Expectations coming into the season:Â Crosby had perhaps his best season in 2011 with career high 85.7% success rate on field goals; however it could be said that Crosby was often never in much pressure to perform since the Packers that year were a offensive juggernaut. Â In 2012, with the offensive sputtering, the team turnedÂ to Crosby more to keep the game close and at least in the middle of the year, it definitely seemed to effect him.
4) Playerâ€™s highlights/low-lights:Â Crosby’s highlights was probably the end of the regular season where he managed to connect on both his kicks and translate that into success in the post-season. Â Crosby lowlight was week 15 against the Bears where he hit rock bottom with two missed field goals out of two attempts.
5) Playerâ€™s contribution to the overall team success:Â While it could be argued that Crosby didn’t lose a game for the Packers, he probably could have won the game against the Colts in week 5 and a couple game could have been a lot easier if Crosby had managed to connect on a couple kicks. Â At least in terms of kick-offs Crosby remained fairly consistent and only pushed 1 kick off out of bounds.
6) Playerâ€™s contributions in the playoffs:Â Luckily Crosby held on to his best game for the playoffs, where he connected on 7 out of 7 extra points, 2 out of 2 field goals and was basically a kicker of old.
Season Report Card:
(C)Â Level of expectations met during the season
(C)Â Contributions to teamâ€™s overall success.
(B)Â Contributions to team during the playoffs
Overall Grade: C~~~~~~~~
Thomas Hobbes is a staff writer for Jersey Al\'s AllGreenBayPackers.com.