As the Green Bay Packers Training Camp unfolds, I am going to do my best to track the players along the depth chart. While things will certainly change over the course of the preseason, this gives us an idea of how the coaches are valuing the players.
Please note that this is not a projection, but rather a snapshot ranking based on observations of training camp practices. Those players seen on the first team units are obviously in the running for starting jobs, while those on second team units are still working their way up the ladder. And as we should all know by know, special teams roles will continue to play a part in how each player is valued.
Notes are provided after each position to help you understand why players were ranked as they are. Most of my information comes from the beat writers who have been watching practice, using their Twitter feeds and articles as references. Players in green have risen in the rankings since the last list, while players in red have fallen.
- While Coleman had the most impressive throw on Family Night of the two, he and Harrell won’t be switching places any time soon.
- It could be a long shot for Bennett and Tyler to crack the Top 3.
- Kuhn is back to practice but hasn’t shown up in pads yet.
* Quarless, Andrew
- Second year player DeMarco Cosby was picked up this week by the Packers.
- Eric Lair was seen on crutches after suffering a knee injury in practice. That’s only going to hurt his chances with such a deep group of tight ends.
- Perhaps I initially ranked Driver too low to begin with, but he was a “starter” for the Family Night game. He has also proven this week that he’s not nearly out of the conversation yet.
- The receivers below the Top 5 have yet to show anything of significance. As of now, Special Teams play could be their best chance at a roster spot.
- Thursday’s practice saw EDS with the No. 2 line and Genus with the No. 3 line.
Van Roten, Greg
* Brooks, Jaymes
- Thursday’s practice saw Draheim and Dominguez as the No. 2 LGs, with Van Roten and Barclay as the No. 3’s.
* Sherrod, Derek
- Datko was replaced by Taylor as the backup LT at one point. He has been struggling so far in camp.
- MCabe is currently dealing with a hip injury.
- Thursday’s practice saw Taylor and Datko with the No. 2 line and Allard with the No. 3 line.
* Jones, Johnny
- The only thing of note here is the Daniels is currently nursing an injury, but there’s been a lot of good notes about his consistency.
+ Neal, Mike
+ Hargrove, Anthony
- It isn’t looking good for Merling.
- It’s hard to get a clear lock on the ILBs behind Smith, but Lattimore has been showing up more and more in camp.
+ Walden, Erik
* Zombo, Frank
- Walden is currently working as the LOLB backup behind Perry, while Moses has jumped ahead of Jones and So’oto as the ROLB backup.
- So’oto and Jones are both winless in one-on-one drills.
- Bush, House, Hayward, and Shields are all in a race for the starting spot opposite Tramon Williams. House took a good amount of reps with the No. 1 unit this week, but Bush was back in the starting role afterwards.
- McMillian has shown up as a third safety in the Packers dime packages during camp.
* Physically Unable to Perform (PUP)
+ Will Serve Suspensions to Start Season