Packers Will Be “Fine” With Current Backup Quarterbacks

1. JimR_in_DC
    May 31, 2012

I agree, Chad. How many available veteran QB’s are worth a damn anyway? Even if you could find one, you’d have to pay handsomely for him, at the cost of upcoming contract deals for your core & coveted players. What if you had to lose an OL or an OLB starter to free agency because you don’t have the cap room to show him the money? All for a veteran QB that might or might not be any mode effective than a guy like G. Harrell. Yeah, I’m with you on this, Chad.

• Ed Schoenfeld
      May 31, 2012

Excellent way to bring in the cap management point. I agree 100%.

2. JimR_in_DC
    May 31, 2012

I meant “more,” not “mode.”

3. Tarynfor12

Thank you Chad!

I was sitting here pounding my head on the table wondering why TT hasn’t raced to McNabbs door with pen in hand because our season and SB hopes rests in his hands as a back-up.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 5

• Ed Schoenfeld
      May 31, 2012

I ‘liked’ this comment for its understated sarcasm.

• Tarynfor12
      May 31, 2012

Over the heads of 3 already…wow.

4. Ed Schoenfeld

Thank you, Chad.

To make a related point, the pundits and bloggerati said exactly the same thing when the Packers had new, unknown, untested backup Qbs named Craig Nall, Aaron Books, Matt Hasselbeck, Craig Pederson, Ty Detmer, and Mark Brunell as well as Matt Flynn. All of those guys were adequate backups from day one (because they **won** the job in camp), all but one wound up getting a chance to prove themselves as NFL starters and 2 went on to have fairly successful careers (Brooks threw his away by getting a swelled head after McCarthy left New Orleans).

All that hiring a vet like AJ Feely (for one example) will do is interfere with the development of Harrell (for this year) and Coleman (projected as the backup in 2014.) If it does turn out that your starter goes out for multiple games and you need to add a veteran backup later, there are always guys with a little something left available in mid-season — Feely or whoever will still be there.

Everybody points to last year’s Be*rs as the prime example of a team whose playoff chances were ruined by an inexperienced QB. But at the time Cutler went down, they had their choice of veterans to hire, they just didn’t want to go crawling and apologize to Orton or McNabb. I don’t expect TT to have any problem of that sort, and more important I don’t expect McCarthy to mistake Caleb Hanie for an NFL quality QB — If M3 says Harrell or Coleman can do the job I’ll trust him on that about a million times as much as I’d trust Lovie Smith.

• Bubbaloo
      May 31, 2012

Ed, are Craig Pederson and Doug Pederson the same guy? I don’t remember Craig.

• JimR_in_DC
        May 31, 2012

You get that when you cross a Pederson with a Nall.

5. Ron LC
    May 31, 2012

Point well made Chad! Why tie up Cap $$$$ in an “expienced backup” when history shows the position is not used much at all.

However, look no further than the NFC North for the counter arguement. What happened when Stafford and Cutler went down? That shows there is risk in not having experience at the QB position. A risk worth taking? I think, yes.

• Bubbaloo
      May 31, 2012

Ron, just who could you bring in that could possibly know (and run) the system as well as a guy who’s been on the practice squad for 2 years?

• Ron LC
        May 31, 2012

I guess the difference would be game experience. Can practice skills equate to game mgmnt? Not always! So, regardless it is a risk either way. Save the cap space and take your chances that AR is going to be the beneficary of the new rules.

6. PackersRS

Co-signed.

I’ll add that I trust MM and Clements know more about quarterbacking than anyone in the press/blogosphere/fandom.

If they think that we’re ok with Harrell as a backup, so do I.

7. Mojo
    May 31, 2012

The thing with Harrell is he’s a big unknown. However, let’s face-it, Flynn was a big unknown too. I know he has played in a few games, but although mostly good, his sample size is still too small to declare him a top half of the league QB. We’ll get a much better idea this year with Seattle. The point being, most Packer fans were content with Flynn as the backup, even though his resume was very limited.

With an experienced back-up you have a history to analyze(although as they say; past performance is no guarantee of future results). So for all we know Harrell could be better than any veteran backup or a complete disaster. Anyway, I agree with the posters who state it’s unlikely GB would win the SB with either Harrell or an experienced backup. They might get you a win or two but I don’t believe they would be able to survive the 3 or 4 game playoff gauntlet even if they got in.

Not just the Pack but all teams must gamble anyway when constructing their rosters. Maybe you’re light in one position because you wish to keep the better players at other positions. It’s a gamble. So if the Pack are unlikely to win the SB with either a veteran or the unknown Harrell, I agree to saving the cap-space and going with Harrell(unless when we finally do get to see him in action he really sucks).

• PackersRS
      May 31, 2012

The teams that have a competent veteran backup have starting QBs who have problems staying healthy. Dallas, Chicago, Philadelphia…

That’s not the case in GB.

8. Lou
    May 31, 2012

I could give a hoot about “making the playoffs.” I want the Pack to win the Super Bowl or to make a serious run at it, and without Rodgers, they’re not going to do that. And if they’re not going to do that, then I have no problem with losing a bunch of games and improving their draft position.

9. marpag
    May 31, 2012

The term “Experienced backup” says it all. It means, “I have been in the league for quite a few years and I’ve never been good enough to be your regular QB.”

In other words, “I’m ordinary at best.”

Guys like that just don’t make much difference. They never have.

10. Bubbaloo
    May 31, 2012

In 2010, the week before Flynn nearly beat the Pats he looked very ordinary in losing to the Lions. His next game with substantial playing time, also against the Lions, he was awesome! Stick with Harrell, he’ll be fine!

11. Oppy
    June 1, 2012

First and foremost, Chad, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the article, agree 100%, people need to stop with the worry about back up QB. It’s always been questioned, every year, since Doug Pederson left. (He really was a great back up QB). Everyone was up in arms when the Packers continued to go into seasons without a Vet QB to back up Favre. “It’s crazy to go into the seasons with the unproven Rodgers. It’s catastrophe waiting to happen”. Lol, hindsight, right?

Two nit picks, however, on statements in your piece:

1) “Similarly, Aaron Rodger’s inability to rally the Packers against the Cowboys in 2007″

Aaron Rodgers may have failed to chalk up the “W” vs. the Cowboys in 2007, but he certainly was successful at rallying the Packers against them.. Favre was atrocious that game, and the Packers were dead in the water with Favre under center. When Rodgers stepped in, the Packers stepped up and came to life. That’s also the game where it was discovered Aaron played most of the second half on a broken foot, if I’m not mistaken. They didn’t come home with the win, but they certainly rallied around Rodgers, it was his big “coming out” party, and while it was not impactful on the season (which I know is the point of your article), it was certainly a watershed moment for the Packers- it was a performance that confirmed what MM and the entire organization had been seeing in practice for the previous two years- and had to have given the Packers confidence to move on with the dongslinger in the months to come.
    2) “As for the losses (in 2010), none of them really seemed to matter.”

I think that Matt Flynn’s loss to the Patriots mattered immensely, in positive fashion. I genuinely and fully believe Flynn’s incredibly inspired and gutsy performance vs. the juggernaught Pats @ Gillette was the sparkplug that instilled unbridled confidence and propelled the Packers through the Giants, the play offs, and the Superbowl. Not bad for an unproven backup.

Again, I understand these are not issues that were being addressed by the focus of your article, but I just had to get that out! :)

12. Derek
    June 3, 2012

As a Chattanooga fan, and seeing BJ Coleman play in every home game he ever played in- you guys have a good back up. He’s smart, respectful, eager to learn, and I have no doubt will polsh his skills this year under a great QB like Rogers and great coaching like McCarthy. I was VERY happy Green Bay took Coleman, vs. other franchises like Oakland or Dallas. I think he will be happy in Green Bay, and I think you – the fans – will be happy with him as well. Good luck in 2012!

Jersey Al
      June 3, 2012

I thought he was the perfect choice for Green Bay as well, so I’m glad to hear the same from someone ultimately much more familiar with him. Thanks for commenting!