1) Introduction: It’s been a long time since Bishop was “Mr. August” (named for being spectacularly awesome during the preseason only to be equally spectacularly terrible during the regular season) and since then Bishop has arguably turned into the Packers best inside linebacker, supplanting fellow inside AJ Hawk in pretty much every regard. Bishop is easily option 2 behind Clay Matthews in terms of rushing the passer and a solid presence in the middle against the run.
Desmond Lamont Bishop
Weight: 238 lbs.
3) Expectations coming into the season for that player: High; Bishop had become a regular starter in 2010 and had shown enough to warrant him being the sole linebacker when the Packers went into the nickel package (as evidence by Hawk’s dismay during the opening regular season game in 2010 against the Philadelphia Eagles where Hawk didn’t see the field in favor of Bishop). Bishop was again expected to bring some big play ability into the middle of the field and still maintain a presence in the box against the run.
4) Player’s highlights/low-lights: Bishop didn’t really have one breakout game this year, but remained rather steady throughout. One could say that his best performance was against the San Diego Chargers in week 9, where he recorded 1 sack and 11 tackles, but it could be argued that he was equally effective against the Denver Broncos in week 4 and against the Carolina Panthers in week 2. Bishop’s lowlight was definitely being hurt for 3 weeks during the end of the regular season where he saw his back up DJ Smith play quite well in his stead
5) Player’s contribution to the overall team success: High; Bishop lead the team in tackles with 115, second behind Clay Matthews III in sacks with 5 (which is only one lower than Matthews himself) and also recorded 2 forced fumbles
6) Player’s contributions in the playoffs: Bishop recorded 4 tackles and one pass defense and probably played as well as anyone did on the defense that day against the Giants in the playoffs.
Season Report Card:
(B) Level of expectations met during the season
(A) Contributions to team’s overall success
(B) Player’s contributions in the playoffs
Overall Grade for the year: B+——————
Thomas Hobbes is a staff writer for Jersey Al’s AllGreenBayPackers.com.