Green Bay Packers Again Struggling With Elite Quarterbacks

1. PackersRS
    December 7, 2011

I find it very telling that the only QB who had a really good game against the Packers was Brees (if you consider the trend of the passing game nowadays). Up until last game he was the only QB with 100+ rating against this D.

They’re definitely not playing as well as last year, where they were #1 in opposing QB rating. They’re still a #10 in that category, though, which is IMHO a much, much better indicament of defensive performance against the pass than yards per game.

Add the turnovers (#2), and, even with all the yardage and points, with this offense, we should come out on top every time.

2. TJM
    December 7, 2011

Cracks me up, i can sum it up with two words:

Who doesn’t??????

Thants why they are elite QB’s

Zach Kruse
      December 7, 2011

Packers of 2010 certainly didn’t, especially to this degree. Last year’s defense played well against Michael Vick, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and even Tom Brady.

3. Mojo
    December 7, 2011

The only NFC team that really concerns me are the Saints. And if Brees were gone they wouldn’t bother me at all. I think the QB’s who hurt the Pack the most are veterans who can easily spot when the CBs and safties are out of position(or dupe them into being in the wrong spot). I don’t know what all the problems were in 2009, but this years secondary just does not play well together.
    Plus when Woodson is called upon to cover, he has got to stop all the grabbing and guessing and just play straight-up.

It’s something the Pack needs to figure out in a hurry because I have a feeling it will be the Saints we see in the NFC championship game.

4. Mr. Bacon
    Mr. Bacon
    December 7, 2011

While I don’t have a problem with the obvious fact it will take an Elite QB, to defeat the Packers.
    As far as the stats, they can be misleading, but two of them are big keys.
    Time of Possession and Turnover Differential.
    It’s fairly obvious the Defense specialty is turnovers. It’s all part of the system, as your sending a wave of defenders to aggressively stop the defense. In turn they give up a lot of yards because it’s a high risk strategy.
    As far as the Time of Possession, that’s mainly attributed to the Packers being the 2nd Ranked team in 3rd down efficiency.
    Also on a side note hardly consider Phillip Rivers, Elite.
    One could say he is the AFC Equivalent to Donovan McNabb with a hint of Jeff George. He has the tools to be an Elite but he constantly disappoints. Prior to this year, before he regressed, you can say he was a Elite Fantasy Football QB.

5. Rick
    December 7, 2011

Stats are fine but – News Flash- at end of game the team with the most points win.

6. homerunsimpson
    December 7, 2011

I think Mr. Bacon was onto something. Turnovers. A high-powered offense is going to score a lot, but essentially be trading blows with Aaron and friends. An opportunistic defense will take away opportunities for the other offense. Thats what happened in San Diego. an elite qb isnt enough, you need a pass rush as well, cuz if you cant get after aaron without blitzing youre pretty much done

7. Dan
    December 7, 2011

I agree 100% with Zach. The #1 team that I’m concerned with is NO. This 2011 Packers D would get shredded if they played the Saints in NO. The good news is the Pack will have HF advantage. The saints are 3-3 on the road this year. That being said, they played well against our D in the opener. I would much rather play SF in the NFC champ game, and the Ravens in the SB, because neither team has an elite QB. I hope SF gets the 2 seed and NO gets the 3 SEED. SF may knock NO out of the play offs. Also, I’d like to see the Pack play Atlanta or maybe the Cowboys in the first play off game, not the Giants. I know this all sounds defeatest, but with this D, I can’t help but to think this way. Getting that 5th SB title is huge. We would be tied for 2nd and only 1 behind Pittsburgh. That, plus all the early championships would be great. I grew up watching the Packers of the 70s & 80s. I thought having Favre show up was a miracle (and maybe it was), but this is Awsome. This offence is unstoppable. Just need a few piece on D to create a for sure dynasty.

8. Bearmeat
    Bearmeat
    December 7, 2011

McGinn wrote a great piece a couple weeks ago about the only real chance another team has is to beat the crap out of ARod.

While I think that would work, I don’t think it’s possible. AR’s too mobile. Tom Brady in the 07 SB was not. He never has been.

I trust McGinn’s opinion over any other writer, but on this one, I think the pass D is the potential stumbling block.

9. Jeff
    December 10, 2011

I guess you people forget that the Packers shut down Matt Ryan on the road , you just keep worrying about a Saint team that has never won a playoff game on the road and last year lost on the road in the playoffs to a bad Seattle team.
    The Packers haled the Saints to 27 offensive points in the opener and made two 4th down stoppd , if you remember Hawk and Matthews were in Brees’ face all not and they were fingertips away from having 6 more sacks than they had.
    You guys do not understand that this is an offensive league and everyone gives up yardage, the bottom line is points. Do you get it that the Saints suck on the road especially on grass , they are not a threat to win a game in cold Green Bay being a fast dome team , get real people!!!
    Now anyone who thinks the Raiders are getting 30 points on us is just trying to stir the pot up.
    This team shut the high powered Lions down on their home field.
    The bottom line is that the Packers score 30 even on a slow day , hey get over 35 on a good day and that means it is going to take most likely 35 points for a team to have a chance to beat us in a playoff game , that is not happening !

10. Jeff
    December 10, 2011

There are no stumbling blocks , the Packers are not losing this year , get with it or lose out.