Green Bay Packers Schedule: Running the Gauntlet

1. Ron LC
    November 10, 2011

Chad, your review of the upcoming games add strength to my arguement that the D starts to pick up and contribute to maintaining the point differentail and take some pressure off the O. Monday is when Capers and the D must start earning their salaries. the season sould turn on these four (include the Giants) games. The whole tean needs to show up. If they win the next three the season could be wrapped up in a nice Green and Gold bow. They could then afford to lose to the Giants with little impact.

Chad Toporski
      November 10, 2011

I agree, winning these next three would all but secure them a high berth in the playoffs. Detroit would be another game behind, and they’d have 3 more NFC wins to their record.

2. Chad Lundberg
    November 10, 2011

Not sure how much I buy the idea that the Lions hold the best chance of beating the Packers anymore.

Rivers was not himself, but the Chargers were probably the most talented team the Packers face this year. The Lions are merely half the kind of talent that the Bolts do.

Second, Rodgers is playing in a Dome. Need I say more about that?

And why do you say that the Packers only have three days to prepare? I understand your concern there, but the Lions only have three days as well.

Also, people tend to forget that Rodgers’ is wearing a high tech helmet. Yes, that front four is scary, possibly the scariest in the NFLm although Suh is suffering a sophomore slump. But another concussion (I know you didn’t say concussion, don’t worry), IN MY OPINION, is not likely for Rodgers.

Chad Toporski
      November 10, 2011

Considering how close both Lions games were last year, I’m not convinced that they’ll be any less of a threat.

Besides, I’m more worried about their defense than their offense… especially with Nick Fairley returning to the rotation. Unless the Packers defense can buckle down in time, I expect the Lions to put up some points.

As for the Lions having three days to prepare as well, that is true, but two things help to offset this: (1) they don’t have to travel, since their Sunday game before that is at home, and (2) they have homefield advantage, and you know that place will be rocking. With a loud stadium and a threatening defensive line, I’m sure the Packers will have their fair share of offside penalties.

• PackersRS
      November 10, 2011

Sorry to say that, but the Lions actually have more talent. Much more talent on the DL, more talent on the LB with the aquisition of Tullock and Durant. Calvin Johnson is a bigger treat than Gates and Jackson combined, though they have Pettitgrew. And most importantly Stafford right now is a better QB than Rivers.

Though they’re riddled with injuries…

Jersey Al
        November 11, 2011

Calvin Johnson is what worries most about the Lions game. Jump balls in the end zone over Charlie Peprah anyone? I sure hope they match up with Tramon on him – he’s got the jumps to contest those balls…

3. BTF
    November 10, 2011

Big weekend coming up. It’s possible we could be playing for a 3 game lead in the division and 2 game lead for #1 seed come Monday night.

On the Lions the D is good the D line obviously talented but they can be run on-giving up 5.2 YPC. Wonder if we see a few 2-3 TE sets with a view to getting Starks and Grant going and protecting Rodgers..

Still getting ahead of myself which I said I wouldn’t do after last year. One game at a time..

Chad Toporski
      November 10, 2011

While I think McCarthy will commit some more snaps to the run, he will still play to the strength of the offense, and that is on the arm of Aaron Rodgers. If they can establish early success running the ball, it will be easier for them to move it through the air.

Going off your last sentence, I hope the Packers take it the same way. With a short week to prepare for the Lions, there’s a chance Tampa Bay could trap them in a loss if they’re not focused on that game. Though I tend to give the Packers the benefit of the doubt where focus is concerned.

4. Bearmeat
    Bearmeat
    November 10, 2011

Great breakdown Chad!

IMO – Either AR continues to play perfect and we get timely turnover’s every game. OR the D picks it up. That’s the only ways we win all of the next 4.

The game that both of these things happen is the game we lose. Maybe more than one..

5. Bearmeat
    Bearmeat
    November 10, 2011

EDIT:

The game that none of the above things DON’T happen is the game we lose. Maybe more than one..

Need an edit button! :)

6. Wagszilla
    November 11, 2011

Lions and Giants.
    Those are the only 2 games that make me worry at all.

Bucs are overrated and don’t travel well.

Of course they could phone it in towards the end of the season and rest some starters. Don’t know if that’s Mike McCarthy’s MO though.

7. Ron LC
    November 11, 2011

The Bears on Sunday. A Bear win would be a nice thing.

8. jOe
    November 11, 2011

Umm hate to nit pick but the article says that we play the Lions on the 23rd, and I’m pretty sure its the 24th.

Jersey Al
      November 11, 2011

no problem – we want to be accurate. I’ll fix it…

9. Shavager
    November 11, 2011

Packers D-line should get to Stafford-he’s excellent QB but is not mobile, can’t scramble to safety. Stop big plays to Calvin Johnson, get Starks/Grant run game in gear and Packers win. Vikings game may be close before 4th qtr, but Ponder needs more help to win unless Peterson gets another 175 yd game. Tampa Bay’s defense can keep them in the game, limiting their offense will be a must for Packers, this could be the trap game for a loss, especially with Packers’ D-line tired out after three games in such short time. Hopefully GB can get some action out of Mike Neal by Lions game even if just a series or two.

10. Dan
    November 12, 2011

Vikings and Bucs should be wins, lions will be tuff , 9 day test for the giants looks like a win. I guess I’m rooting for the bears to beat the lions this week so we haVe a 3 game lead in the div, we should be ok for the no1 seed , however, our D scares me .