This was certainly a week like no other in the Packers Universe. A full off-season’s worth of activity was compressed into a time period of seven days. Here’s a day by day account of the week’s events:
Monday: July 25th, 2011
– The NFL lockout ends and the players approve the new agreement.
– Packers immediately start reaching unofficial agreements with Undrafted Rookie Free Agents (UDFA)
Tuesday: July 26th, 2011
– Nick Barnett comes to Lambeau Field, meets with Ted Thompson and leaves with only memories of his 8-year Packers career. Packers save 5 million in cap space.
– Packers Announce the signing of UDFAs:
Diondre Borel, QB, Utah State (6-0, 199)
Anthony Bratton, S, Delaware (6-2, 200)
Ray Dominguez, G/T, Arkansas (6-4, 334)
Sampson Genus, C, South Florida (6-1, 315)
Tori Gurley, WR, South Carolina (6-4, 216)
Jon Hoese, FB, Minnesota (6-2, 238)
M.D. Jennings, S, Arkansas State (6-0, 185)
Elijah “Peanut” Joseph, ILB, Temple: (6-1, 243)
Elisha “Eli” Joseph, NT, Temple (6-2, 290) (officially signed on Friday)
Jamari Lattimore, OLB, Middle Tennessee State (6-2, 230)
Brandian Ross, DB, Youngstown State (6-0, 191)
Brandon Saine, RB, Ohio State (5-11, 220)
Theo Sherman, G, James Madison (6-3, 302)
Antoine “Shaky” Smithson, WR, Utah (5-11, 202)
Vic So’oto, DE/OLB, BYU (6-3, 265)
Kerry Taylor, WR, Arizona State (6-0, 198)
Chris Donaldson, DE, Oklahoma State (6-1, 300) (officially signed on Friday)
– Packers players start arriving in Green Bay. Meet with trainers, coaches and are given their playbooks.
Wednesday: July 27th, 2011
– Packers announce the signing of free agent kicker Mason Crosby to a 5-year contract worth 14.75 million dollars.
– Rumors fly about other Packers that will or won’t be back. Some player agents respond. Colledge’s agent says he’s surely gone. Poppinga’s agent is doubtful he’ll be released.
Thursday: July 28th, 2011
– Packers Shareholders Meeting – Ted Thompson greeted with standing ovation.
– Daryn Colledge signs a 5 year deal with the Arizona Cardinals.
– Justin Harrell released, saving 1.25 million of cap space.
– Brady Poppinga released, saving 2.3 million of cap space.
– Players check into St. Norbert for start of training camp.
– Brandon Jackson signs a 2-year deal with the Cleveland Browns.
– Jason Spitz signs a 3-year deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
– Packers sign four of their draft choices, Caleb Schlauderaff, Ryan Taylor Ricky Elmore and D.J. Williams
– Mike McCarthy’s wife gave birth to a baby girl, Isabella.
Friday: July 29th, 2011
– Brandon Chillar, recovering from a shoulder injury, reports with a serious hamstring injury. The Packers release Chillar, saving 2.6 million in cap space.
– Packers release Tackle Mark Tauscher
– Packers release linebacker Matt Wilhelm.
– Korey Hall signs with the New Orleans Saints.
– Packers release practice squad players S Michael Grieco and LB Curtis Young.
– Packers sign five of their draft choices, Derek Sherrod, Randall Cobb, D.J. Smith, Lawrence Guy and Davon House. Only Alex Green remains unsigned.
Saturday: July 30th, 2011
– Cullen Jenkins signs a 5 year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles.
– Packers announce signing of Alex Green – all draft choices and UDFAs are now under contract.
– Packers sign free agents Spencer Havner and Brett Swain.
– Packers hold their first practice of training camp (helmets and shorts only)…
- Derek Sherrod starts with the 1s in Daryn Colledge’s old spot, left guard. T.J. lang mans LG with the 2s.
- No. 2 OL left to right was Newhouse, Lang, McDonald, Schlauderaff and Campbell
- Frank Zombo starts with the 1s at ROLB. Walden with the 2s.
- Brad Jones with the 2s at LOLB.
- Mike Neal worked with the 1s at RDE, with Howard Green in that spot with the 2s.
- Alex Green was given uniform #20, but there was no announcement of the release of the former owner, Atari Bigby.
- Cobb, Williams, Shaky and Shields taking turns fielding punts.
- Mathsay 3 of 4 at 38yd field goals (in Crosby’s absence)
– John Kuhn, James Jones, Atari Bigby and Anthony Smith remain as unsigned free agents.
Sunday: July 31st, 2011
Packers sign free agent receiver James Jones.
Jersey Al Bracco is the founder and editor of AllGreenBayPackers.com, and the co-founder of Packers Talk Radio Network. He can be heard as one of the Co-Hosts on Cheesehead Radio and is the Green Bay Packers Draft Analyst for Drafttek.com.